Cleveland Park Policies
To Ensure Safety, Health and Cleanliness
The following park policies are designed to ensure that your visit with us is as safe and enjoyable as possible. Additional policies and restrictions may apply. Please be responsible for the safety of yourself and your family.
- Park Hours: The Park is open during daylight hours. Gates are locked at dusk each night.
- Vehicles: Vehicles are allowed in parking areas only. Buses should park in the Event Center lot at the West Entrance Gate. S.C. traffic laws are enforced and the speed limit is 9 miles per hour on park property.
- Skates, Roller blades, Skateboards, Scooters & Power wheel vehicles: Because of heavy pedestrian and vehicular traffic in the park, use of these and other similar recreational modes of transportation are prohibited. Bicycles should yield to pedestrians at all times.
- Pets: Pets must be kept under immediate control of owners at all times and on leashes not exceeding six feet. The city scoop ordinance is in effect. Failure to scoop the waste or control your pet will result in immediate expulsion from the park. Owners with pets exhibiting aggressive behavior will be asked to leave the park. Pets are prohibited on the playground and the island.
- Playground Equipment: Park equipment and facilities must be used in ways consistent with their design. Playground equipment is designed for ages 12 and under. Spartanburg County shall not be liable for any injuries or liabilities resulting from the misuse of park facilities by park users.
- Train Tracks & Trestles: Train tracks and trestles are not a play area. Those playing or walking in these areas will be asked to leave the park. Use caution when crossing tracks to enter or exit the playground.
- Lake and streams: No fishing allowed. Playing in the area of the dam is prohibited. Large rocks surrounding bridges are in place for erosion prevention so we ask park visitors not to climb on these rocks or throw them in the water.
- Solicitation: No solicitation of products or services is allowed in Cleveland Park.
- Prohibitive acts: Prohibitive acts include, but are not limited to, drinking alcohol in the parking lots or in the park (unless approved by the Park Director for a specific function or facility), gambling, loud amplified music (unless approved by the Park Director for a special event), boisterous or indecent language, indecent behavior, littering, defacing any park property, or polluting any park waters. Possession and/or discharge of firearms, weapons, fireworks, and/or explosives are prohibited.
- Use of Tobacco Products: Use of tobacco products is prohibited in the playground area and in all park structures, including Picnic Shelters, Train Depot, Restrooms, Event Center, and Gazebo. Overhangs and porches are considered park structures.
- Professional photo shoots: Photo shoots should be cleared with the park office located in the lower level of the John B. Cleveland Event Center.
- Use of park structures: Use of Picnic Shelters and the John B. Cleveland Event Center are by reservation only. Picnic tables scattered throughout the park that are not under a shelter are used on a first come-first served basis.
- Violations of rules: Any person or groups violating the existing rules and regulations or, in the opinion of a park official, constituting a public nuisance or potential hazard to persons or property, or exhibiting disorderly conduct, shall be served notice by the park official and expelled from the park property. Such violations can be subject to prosecution in accordance with state and local laws and ordinances.
- Right to alter or end an event: Spartanburg County maintains the right to alter or end any event or gathering at anytime it is determined necessary to assure the continued public safety, health, and welfare of event participants, park visitors, park facilities, or the surrounding community. Cleveland Park is a family park and all behavior by park visitors should be suitable for a family atmosphere.